4 ERNEST BROWN BLOCK, 1912-13
Ernest Brown came to Edmonton in 1903 “with a wife, a big trunk and a $5 bill”, and six months after being hired as manager, bought C.W. Mathers’ photography business for $735. He thrived, and in 1911-12 he commissioned the two-part Brown Block. The building was expanded in 1913, but Brown’s prosperity was short-lived and the building was seized by the bank in the 20s. Left with only his own negatives, the Mathers’ collection, and other photographers’ negatives Brown purchased, he parlayed the collection into a successful reprint and museum business before selling it to the Provincial Archives in 1947.
Source: Edmonton Heritage Council
Photo Credit: City of Edmonton Archives EA-792-65